Among the familiar traditions that we practice are birthday wishes and New Year’s resolutions. Both are associated with goals. Goals are the things that we want to achieve in life. We set goals to open a new chapter and direct our path throughout the year. Personal goals help us feel excited about what we can experience in our life.
But we don’t have to wait for the New Year or a birthday to have another set of goals. We can start anytime, anywhere, with goals that can be big or small.
Here are the five steps to set your personal goals. They will guide you to understand the importance of building a solid foundation of goals.
1. Write down your goals
The first thing you need to do is find a clean notebook. Find something pleasant to write on, and a dedicated pen to make it more special. You can also use your note application from your phone for sustainability. Your notes will serve as your refresher in the process of achieving your goals.
Now that you have your writing tools, let’s get down on writing!
- Think of your life purpose. You need to build a strong foundation by connecting with your purpose in life. You will accomplish more extraordinary things than you imagine if you know your purpose. Though it may not be immediately clear, it’s definitely worth contemplating.
- List down all the things that you want to be/do/have. It can be small or big goals, anything goes.
Remember: Your notebook will be your safe zone. So go ahead and write down everything that you can think about.
- Categorize your goals. Distinguish between short-term and long-term goals. Short-term goals are the goals that you can finish within a day, a week, a couple of months, or even this year, while long-term goals may take several years to achieve.
Now that you have written your goals, it is time to design your notes up to your liking. You can put photos or draw to visualize your goals.
2. Create your Action Plan
Knowing your purpose and goals alone is not enough to ensure that things happen. You have to understand how to achieve your goals, and you may follow these methods.
- Have a to-do list(or a related application on your phone) and place it where you will always see it. Having a to-do-list gives you a sense of accomplishment, especially when you see that your list has more finished tasks than pending.
- Gather information about your goal. Let’s say that you want to gain weight. You have to find reliable and credible information to fully understand your goal. Knowledge is power. Learning is needed continuously as it will help you grow.
- Create a budget and a list of resources. Some goals involve money and resources; plan out the estimated amount to achieve the goal, tools you need, and people whose support you may need on the way.
- Make a step-by-step plan. Your step-by-step plan should be detail-oriented, especially for short-term goals. The more specific your plan is, the better.
- Set the time frame. You can use your alarm clock and calendar to remind you about a particular task that you need to accomplish to help you be one step closer to making your goals come true.
3. Believe in your Goals
Any great invention in this world starts from someone’s idea. FORM comes from FORMLESS. You can practice visualizing and experiencing your goals as if they were already here.
There are many ways to do it. You can start with guided meditations, scripting out the details, making a vision board, or talking about it with your coach. You will write about your goals as if they were already happening – using the present tense and describing the details, including all your senses in this process.
This will help you stay on the path when things get hard. It might also give you another perspective on pursuing your goals.
4. Take action
Now that you have a clear understanding of your goals, studied the master plan, and practiced believing in it, it is time to get going. Words without action are just words. If you only stick to writing your goals, they will remain as notes on your notebook. You have to muster your courage and take a step.
- Discipline is your main strength. Tackling a goal can be challenging, especially if it involves changing your routine. You have to be willing to get out of your comfort zone and be disciplined enough to follow the master plan you have created. It would be better to share your goals with a friend or a coach so they can provide a support system during difficult times and keep you accountable.
- One step at a time. Not all of your goals can be achieved all at once. Take one step at a time and master it. Once you have fully mastered a routine or made it into a habit, you can add on another one. This will build your confidence to pursue bigger goals.
- Take breaks. Let yourself pause whenever you feel like you don’t have the energy to push through. Pushing through when you are exhausted will hinder your ability to listen to your intuition. It could cause significant adverse physical or mental effects.
You will know that you are physically or mentally drained by checking in with yourself. Pay attention to how you’re feeling moment to moment. Practice self-awareness and pay attention to your body.
5. Monitor the process
Monitoring is essential in knowing whether you effectively carry out the plan to achieve your personal goals. Monitoring your progress provides you with the drive to keep going until the tasks are completed. Also, you will be able to learn more as you assess your plan, your progress, yourself, and the environment.
You can track your progress daily, weekly, or monthly. Check your development and write it down in your notebook.
- express your gratitude.
- write the challenges you faced
- things you accomplished
- add another goal.
- Know when to take detours. Carrying out your personal goal won’t be always rainbows and daises. There will always be unexpected setbacks during the process. Learn how to make a detour by expecting them. In that way, your master plan will have different plans- you will have plan B or C, but your goals will still be honored.
Don’t beat yourself up if the goal was not achieved in the original time frame. Great things happen at divine timing, Trust the process and be strong.
- Keep yourself motivated. Surround yourself with words that help you fire up the passion to meet your goals. Avoid comparing yourself to the people you see on social media. Feed your mind with positivity. Remember that we all have our unique paths. Some people may achieve their goals faster than you do but that doesn’t mean that your goals will not come true.
“Success requires that you have a motivating inner power to push you forward. If you don’t have this power you need to develop it.”
- Celebrate- small or big wins. Don’t forget to reward yourself. You are now a better version of yourself than when you were writing your goals. Commemorate your dedication to your life. You deserve it!
Lastly, never stop adding new personal goals. Keep moving forward, and aim for higher aspirations. Don’t do it to compare with the Joneses. It’s about constantly evolving and growing to experience your own potential. By doing so, you will also inspire others to do the same- to create amazing things in our lives.
Just know that achieving goals won’t be an easy path. That is why you have to keep refreshing yourself about your purpose in life. Go back to the WHYs. In that way, you will be able to go through the hardships, and success will be ever so sweet!
Now that you have come to the end of this article. What are your thoughts? Follow the guide and download our audio MP3 to help you manifest your goals!